Saturday, September 6, 2014

*Killing* Sydster Jensen

Hola mi familia!

Well, I can honestly say I think we ended Sister Jensen's mission with a big bang! We had an incredible week with a ton of miracles and a ton of fun.  We set a goal to teach 30 lessons last week, which was something on Sister Jensen's bucket list. We received a lot of prayers and help, and were able to teach 32, with 4 member present lessons! That was a mission record for the both of us. We were definitely blessed this week.

At transfer meeting we always close with “Each Heart that Touches ours for Good”  Singing it as I was sending Sister Jensen home had me bawling!  It’s an incredible song, and sister Jensen is an incredible person. I wrote her a note and wrote her name as Sydster Jensen, because her and I always her issues calling each other sister. Haha. I don't think I ever called her by her name when we were together because I was scared Syd would come out. Haha. Now it will forever be, "Syd...ster Jensen!" I'm gonna miss her lots. 
Last Sunday before church we went to go stop in and see a new investigator, Tita.  She is Dominican and incredible. She has been struggling to feel love and happiness in her life, especially since her son just went away to college, and it's hard for her to see her high schooler growing up. We taught an awesome lesson about the  Restoration and then invited her to be baptized on Sept. 27.  She thought for a second and then said, "Does that fall on a Sunday? Cause I can do it if it is a Sunday." So we set a baptismal date for Tita for Sept 28!!  We were freaking out, we were so excited!!  Tita is incredible and definitely prepared to accept the gospel.

This is the Yonkers Chapel.  It's hilarious to see the churches here and how they have been squished in some cities. The Yonkers chapel used to be a movie theater, and is squished between a bodega place and a Little Cesars.  Super funny. It doesn't look like a church at  all. Hahaha.
Later, on Monday, we went to go see another investigator, Banessa, (also Dominican), but she wasn't home.  So, we went to visit Olga who lives in the same building.  We had tracted their building about a month ago and found Olga, from the DR. (Fun fact from the last 6 weeks: our teaching pool is 500% more Dominican since I got here... Hahah.  We're not really sure how that happened…)  When we first talked to Olga (a month ago) she didn't seem super interested, but we decided to go back and see her anyway. She immediately let us in, and we had an INCREDIBLE lesson where we taught her about our purpose and how the message of the Restored gospel will bless her life. The Spirit was so strong, and we invited her to be baptized on Oct 18.  She said she would be baptized, but was hesitant to accept the date!! Neither Sister Jensen or I had ever invited somebody to be baptized on a specific date in the first lesson, but the Spirit was so strong and we just felt so prompted to throw it out there. It definitely paid off, even if she didn't accept it right now. Olga is also extremely prepared, and we are so excited to keep teaching her. She has such a sweet presence, and she has three kids, all baptism aged! BOOYA!

It is official, I will be training my third child, and will also be getting two grand kids!! This cycle is going to be CRAZY, but I am excited.

My new companion!  Sister White from Gilbert, Arizona
Today is definitely a little sad saying bye to a Sister Jensen, but I couldn't be more grateful to Heavenly Father for letting me serve with my sister!  We had so much fun, and I learned so much from her. Sister Jensen is a fantastic missionary, who knows how to make people feel loved and knows how to care.  She showed me a lot of love and taught me a lot about being really aware of people' situations.  I'll miss her a lot, but also feel super blessed that she will be so close by once I get back home ; )

Love you all,

Sister Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment