Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Viva Mexico!

Hola familia!

Say hello to one of the first missionaries to watch live TV in the CCM! Don't worry, I had permission ;)  Sunday was Mexican Independence day, and we literally celebrated all last week.  So did all the Mexicans.  Fireworks were going off like crazy.  It sounded like a war zone every night here in the city.  Saturday night we had a fiesta! You dídn't think missionaries could party, but guess what.  We do.  And we have rocking parties.  We had dancers come and perform for us, Latina singers, etc.  Fireworks, videos all about Mexico, it was so great.  The ladies that danced had these amazing dresses that spun like crazy.  All I wanted to do was try one on.  Haha.  The Mexican cultural dance for the men is the chicken dance.  Basically they put their hands behind their backs like wings and kick their feet.  Also there is this dance move where the men and women pretend like they are kissing.  The crowd went crazy.  Also all the Latinos in the crowd were going berzerk! They kept screaming and shouting "Arriba arriba!!" And other such exclamatories.  I was dying laughing.  On Sunday we all gathered back in the Gym at 11- waaayyyy past curfew.  But apparently every Independence Day the Mexican President rings a victory bell, symbolic of the bell rung to declare independence, shouts "Viva Mexico!", and Viva to the founding fathers, then the whole country of Mexico repeats the phrase.  So we watched live TV as the President shouted his phrases, and then we repeated.  It was so neat to be part of a cultural experience like that.  I was almost in tears Saturday night because I LOVE patriotism, and am so proud when people care for their country, and because I missed America TONS.  Can't wait to be back in 12 days!!  On Sunday after shouting about Mexico, we were instructed to go directly to our casas.  Apparently after the cheers, fireworks go crazy in the City, and in addition, the Mexicans all like to shoot their guns up in the air.  And since we live in the valley, it was raining bullets.  Hahahahahahahaha.  But don't worry, no bullet wounds here!
Mom, don't worry.  Aside from raining bullets, you could live here.  Apparently there is a Costco, because we have Costco pizza every Tuesday night!

I am learning a lot about asking inspired questions.  With one of our fake investigators, we can't get him to crack.  It just feels like we are saying words and nothing is getting through his shell.  I am learning that finding the specific needs of the investigator is the most important thing we can do.  This Gospel is truly a personal gospel.

Last Thursday was the weirdest day of my life.  I work up, had issues with my hair, went to breakfast, broke a plate at breakfast, and then when we went to class we found out one of our  Elders had left in the night.  It was so hard to hear that he was gone.  It's crazy that you can love somebody so much so quickly, and we definitely had so much love for him.  I was almost in tears all day.  It is so different to be on the other side of a missionary leaving.  It makes you question so much why you are here and what more you could have done to help them.  But our Elder is most definitely coming back, and I trust in the Lord and in the Lord's plan.  I know that a mission is the place for me, and I hope I never have to experience another loved one leaving again. 

Here is a story you will never believe.  We have switched from Volleyball to soccer.  And I am enjoying it.  Like a ton.  We play in a fenced in tiny basketball court, so the ball just flies and it is so hilarious.  I have fallen and gotten hit in the head multiple times, but all is well!! Also the other day I scored the game winning goal.  I'm basically up to Emmy's standard now.  Haha.

It has been super rainy ALL WEEK because there are two hurricanes coming in from both sides of Mexico.  Thank goodness for my raincoat! I am most definitely the best looking Hermana here ;)

Funny to hear the Livie and all the boys story from three different sides: Mom, Livie, and Dad.  My advice, take away the phone ;)

Love you all! The Church is true, Jesucristo lives, and I am so blessed to be able to represent Him.

Todos mi amor,

Hermana Dodson

The weird clock Sadie bought at the CCM store!

No comments:

Post a Comment