Saturday, November 30, 2013

Chalking up New York

Hello family!

First off, THANK YOU for the packages!! We are pumped for Christmas!!
We have been listening to Christmas music from the day I got here...
Hahaha. 

You saw on Facebook already, and I am probably going to put some
pictures up later, but we did a chalk finding activity! It was so much
fun, and we are hoping that we get a whole bunch of new investigators
from it! If you want to see more pictures, go to



Last week we had 5 dinner appointments!! Bet you didn't believe that
would happen, right?? Anyway, one of the nights we go to sister's
house, who is Mexican. She says that we are going to have mondongo...
If you don't want to run that word through google translate, it is cow
intestine! We had it in a soup. It was so scary. Imagine a big chunk
of chicken skin. I tried to chew it, but after two attempts, nothing
happened to it at all, so I just let it slide down my throat solid.
Luckily it was in a really delicious soup, so that helped. I had about
five six bites, then called it good. Hermana Lancaster went for one
bite and then almost threw it up. I was laughing so hard at the whole
experience.

I attended my first convert baptism this week! It was so beautiful.
And it was awesome because I helped teach this new member twice. I
felt the spirit so strongly during the baptism. Truly it is an
ordinance of Godliness.

Happy birthday to Emmy!! It was weird to miss it... But I hope it was amazing.
Also I found five dollars on the street! That was awesome.

We are learning about coming to know God.  As our Father, it is so
important that we know Him. Really know who He is as a person. We are
finding that many people simply lack the drive to live the gospel to
its fullest extent.  They are lazy, they are scared, they care more
about the world and people than God. I think that is because they
don't truly understand who He is. If people realized not only how
powerful our Father is, but also how loving He is, the concerns and
cares of the world will naturally fall away.  The measure of what we
do is determined by WHO matters the most. I believe that as people
come to understand who He is, how He works, etc. they will gain love
for Him, since He loves us. As we gain love, we will naturally want to
do the things that please Him. Genetically, we are half his, since we
are His Spirit children. We have inherited His love of good, His
natural inclination to learn more and to do more in faith. As we come
to know Him, we will come to realize who we truly are, and will
naturally do the things that make us like our Father.

In John 17:3 we learn that "this is life eternal, that they might know
thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent."
Spanish reveals the true meaning of this verse. There are two verbs in
Spanish that mean "to know". Saber and conocer. Saber means to know
facts, conocer means to know or be familiar with something or someone.
For example, yo sé a Ruth es mi madre- meaning I know who she is as that
lady that raised me. Yo sé que la Iglesia es verdadera. That is a
fact. Also yo conozco a Ruth, mi madre. Meaning that I know my mother,
I am familiar with her. We are friends. In past tense, conocer also
means to have met someone. So when I say yo conocì a Ruth, it means
more like I have met her- I know her. I hope that makes sense...
Anyways, in Spanish, Juan 17:3 dice, "Y ésta es la vida eterna: que te
conozcan a ti, el único Dios verdadero, y a Jesucristo, a quien has
enviado." Notice which version of the verb "to know" was used?
Conocer! Not saber.  Life eternal is not knowing about God, but
knowing God as a person, as our Padre!

Love you all! Don't forget to pray and have an amazing thanksgiving!!

Love,

Sadie

No comments:

Post a Comment