Friday, March 21, 2014

Off to Connecticut!

Hola!
Not much time to write today! Things got kind of crazy! I have been transferred upstate to Stamford, Connecticut! BOOYA! God has a plan for me here instead of the Bronx. I was seriously shocked with the news, but super excited! Sister Ramirez is getting an amazing companion to follow up train her, so all will be okay with my baby :) I feel spoiled rotten to be here in Stamford. In my district is none other than Elders Gamble and Stephens, and also Elder Duvall. So basically I have half the same district as I did my first cycle! I am so excited to serve with these hooligans again! When I arrived they were excitedly, impatiently waiting to greet me!!  Also my companion, Sister Tirado is fluent and super amazing. She is funny and I think we are going to get along pretty well.  And we dress alike! : )

New area! Mama, we aren't in the Bronx anymore. Oh boy.
Her cute new companion--matching already! #photobombed
It was super hard to leave the Bronx and a piece of my heart will always be with those people. They taught me to love and to care. They taught me that you can't be afraid to be who you are or be afraid of  judgements. The world is a scary place, but the faithful will be blessed in all their efforts. This week I have been studying a ton about the life of Jesus Christ. I want to know the New Testament better so that I can come closer to Christ and come to recognize more His calling as our Savior. I have really been struck by the fact that He grew up and grew in testimony. He was born a perfect Son of God, but that doesn't mean that He was born as a babe with 100% knowledge of everything the Father had in store.  He grew as D&C 93:11-13 says, "grace for grace". What an amazing example He was in all things.  He put in the effort to study, to learn, to acknowledge His sacred calling, and was fully prepared when it came time to begin His ministry. I love my Savior and know He lives.

It's been crazy and awesome to see the change in me and in the Bronx since I arrived in the mission field. I think my first cycle we taught like 8 lessons a week, and between Monday and Tuesday this week we have already taught that many. Things are progressing.  This week, an inactive member who we've tried to help came to church on Sunday, the ward had a baptism, and we have been receiving referrals from members like crazy. The Lord really has provided for us here. My last night in the Bronx, Dorivee made me Dominican food (my favorite!). She made me a Dominican Classic, mongu! Basically it is mashed plantanos.  So mashed potatoes except with the Dominican staple. It's basically like a banana.  Holy cow. It was soooo good! I loved it! It's just boiled plantanos, and then as you mash you add a little bit of the hot water until it is the desired texture. And then that is it. Dorivee added olive oil and it was awesome. Then you add fried cheese or eggs.  I ate it so fast. Hahaha. I also ate it fast though because if it gets cold it gets nasty. It basically turns into a rock. Everyone had told me that it tastes good, but is a rock in your stomach all day. But I loved it. So yeah. When I get home I'm going to make you guys Dominican food.

Funny story about The Lord providing. Haha. So on Sunday the elders had the stake priesthood meeting at 7 am, and then we have missionary meetings in the morning and church. So they didn't get any food. One elder in my district, has been studying the Old Testament. That morning he prayed that God would provide them with manna from Heaven and he could receive water from a rock. That morning sister Ramirez and I felt bad they didn't get any food, and we happened to have exactly 6 bagels in the fridge, so we brought the 6 elders our bagels.  The Elder who had been prayerful was freaking out cause "manna" had come from Heaven. And then he got a drink out of the drinking fountain and called that good as far as water and rocks go.  Haha The Lord works in hilarious ways sometimes. 

Cool story of the week! Yesterday sister Ramirez and I were trying to get to an appointment. We were debating taking the bus or walking, but the walk was uphill so I said take the bus. We started to talk to this man at the bus stop. He told us he felt something different during our chat, and that he just felt super good inside. After sharing our testimonies of the Restored Gospel, he accepted the invitation to church.  Come to find out, yesterday was actually his birthday! None of his kids had called, but he felt incredibly special as God, our loving Heavenly Father, had sent him "two angels" for his birthday. AND he was planning on taking a different way home but decided to take that specific bus instead. God really knows each of us personally and loves us personally too!

Love you all,

Sister Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment