Saturday, March 29, 2014

Picture bomb!

Sadie sent home a ton of pictures this week, so enjoy!

Hola mi familia!!

Well, goodbye Bronx, hello Connecticut!! This has been one of the strangest weeks, but amazing nevertheless.  I am currently working in Norwalk, CT, and honestly I have no idea where it is in relation to the Bronx... But I do know it is far enough away that it is completely opposite than what I am used to!  There are no tall smelly buildings, hardly any buses, and everyone lives in these cute little houses.  I feel like I have been hit by culture shock a little bit, but this area is amazing and I am so grateful to be working here!

Sadie won't miss the dirtiness of the Bronx, but she will REALLY miss the people she loves!
The ward here in CT is amazing!! My heart will forever be in Concourse, but I am definitely willing to leave a little piece of my corazon here as well :) We have amazing members and leaders here, who help the work move along a TON.  We work with less actives and a good amount of investigators as well, and I will let you know more about them as I start to figure out who they are... Haha.

New area: Stamford, CT
The hardest thing about being outside the city is that we don't really talk to everybody. In the city you get on the bus, you walk on street, etc.  There are always people.  Here, we drive a car and every time I see somebody walking outside I just want to pull up to them and be like, "Hey, you want to learn about Jesus??"  Too bad that's a little creepy.  But it is hard to drive past people.  God has definitely been helping me to find love for others, which is what I am working on this cycle.  

"Guess what?  There is a doll replica of me in the New York History Museum!  Duuuude.  It is hilarious,
right?? It says it was created based off people who the artist saw in NYC. So basically I have a twin in NYC!"
Sister Tirado is my new comp, and she is AWESOME.  We have very similar personalities in that we just like to joke around, and she is basically like a little child. She loves Scooby Doo, all kind of candy, and stepping on the squeaky step outside our apartment because the noise makes her laugh.  She is from Los Angeles and Utah, and speaks fluent Spanish.  Funny story, she is not a really touchy feely person at all! She doesn't hug unless she reallllly likes you.  I'm not much of a hugger myself, but on the mission I swear we just hug people like every ten seconds.  So the first day before we head out the door I go to give her a hug (tradition).  She holds out her fist for a first bump, but before I notice I am hugging her, and it is probably the most awkward hug ever.  She then explains to me that maybe in time, as we become better friends, she might be able to hug me.  Hahaha.  After a rockin first day, I earned a hug on the way out the door the next morning.  BOOYA.

Sadie & her new companion, Hermana Tirado
Since both I and Sister Tirado are kind of new in the area (she has had 1 cycle here) we have been focusing on getting to know everybody in our area! Last Sunday night we were about 3 or so lessons behind on our goal for lessons taught to investigators.  So we felt super impressed that we should go check up on a potential investigator and see if she was still interested.  We stopped by her apartment at about 7:30 at night, only to find out she was really not interested… Feeling that we didn't really have much to do, we decided we would just tract the rest of the building! We ended up teaching multiple lessons, and getting 3 new investigators with return appointments!! The crazy concept, that as we are exactly obedient and happy, goal driven, and trusting in The Lord, that He will send us crazy blessings still works,  even up here in the boonies!! Sister Tirado hug attacked me and was like "I love you, Dodson!!"  I don't know what my purpose is here in CT yet, but I am so humbled that The Lord sent me here, and that we are already seeing a difference in the work in this area.

Sadie, John, and Sulenny. John cries when he goes to his own church cause he loves God so much. It's adorable.
Another Funny story from the week!  On Sunday we went to dinner at a member's house in Stamford. We went with the other sisters in the ward and also another set of elders (we have 10 missionaries in the ward!!).  The family is from Peru, and the Sister is hilarious.  She seriously laughs like every ten seconds.  Oh man, it is so fun. Anyway, I am talking to them in Spanish, and they just start making fun of my Dominican accent so bad!! They are laughing so hard that I am this white girl speaking like I came from DR.  (There are like no Dominicans up here, BTW.).  I try to explain to them that I came from the Bronx and that I'm not Dominican, but I ended up saying it in a suuuper thick Dominican way.  Anyway, I am now and probably will forever be the la Dominicana up here in Stamford.  Hahaha.  Man, I love Dominicans and their accents.  I'll wear that title with pride. (Shoutout to Sister Lancaster for training me Dominican :)) 

Sister Reyes, Diosfer's mom. She wears 3D glasses. :)
I LOVE working for The Lord, no matter where it is.  He always gives us trials and exciting times only because He loves us.  As we look with hope to Him during our hard times, we will only feel His love pushing us to endure to the end.

LOVE YOU!!

Sister Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment