Saturday, March 1, 2014

Zone Conference

Hola mi familia!!

I totally forgot to tell you last week that P-day was moved to Thursday because yesterday was Zone Conference.. oops! But don't worry, I'm still very much alive and well.  I didn't get hit by a taxi or a bus or anything.

Zone Conference was amazing!  We focused a ton on consecration.  The goal here in NYNYN Mission is to be consecrated missionaries--missionaries who give everything to The Lord: their weaknesses, desires, disobedience, negativism, love, time, etc.  As we give our all, The Lord will magnify our talents and abilities, and we will see success.  President Morgan really focused on this last summer and fall before I came in.  The mission at that point was at a peak.  Almost every single companionship had a baptismal date for September!! As a reward for our consecration, we were given new tools--Facebook and Ipads.  Sadly, we got suuuper distracted, and now the call to consecration has once gain been issued! I was lucky enough last cycle to have Sister Richardson, who helped me to remember what consecration is.  We tried so hard to focus on it and to be consecrated missionaries.  I can see now that true consecration is the stuff that miracles are made of!  I know we were given Luis (recently baptized) and other miracles because we gave our all.  And honestly, even though I made huge sacrifices such as time, sarcasm, my laziness, and stuff, it was probably the funnest cycle I have had so far!  But, we still have plenty more.  So yeah!

Anyway, each missionary was asked to prepare a 10 minute talk on consecration and then President was going to call on a few random people to speak at Zone Conference.  My talk was centered around how the Book of Mormon is the key to consecration.  Poor Sister Ramirez, she is so sick of me talking about the Book of Mormon.  Haha, but it is literally all I ever want to talk about.  "Sister Dodson, what should we teach?" "Let's teach the Book of Mormon." "Again?"  I KNOW that the Book of Mormon is the key for everything related to the gospel.  Through the Book of Mormon we become closer to Christ, we gain a testimony, we become better.  We literally learn everything we need for spiritual survival and happiness in the Book of Mormon.  I believe it is the key to less active work, investigators, active member work, etc.  It is kind of my theme here, I guess.  I will probably end up being that missionary who everyone knows as the crazy girl who is obsessed with the Book of Mormon.  BOOYA. Hahahaha. GOODNESS, I JUST LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON.  So sue me.  No, don't sue me ; )

ANYWAY, so my talk was centered around how the Book of Mormon is the key to consecration.  As we read and study the Book of Mormon, we will naturally have the desire to change and become better.  We will feel the Spirit, and want to do all we can to live worthy of it.  The end of my talk ended with a challenge to every missionary to read the Book of Mormon for at least 10 minutes a day.  SO then we go to Zone Conference.  As excited as I was for my talk, I wasn't chosen to speak!  But then, at the end, Sister Morgan got up to speak, and I realized why I wasn't chosen…. Haha.  Guess what she spoke about??! Yeaaaaah.  How the Book of Mormon is the key to consecration!! She ended with a challenge to read the Book of Mormon every day. It's all good, because I would have stolen her thunder ;)

So funny story, we had the mission doctor and his wife speak at Zone Conference too.  His wife spoke about my [least] favorite topic ever for about 15 minutes: FEET.  EWWWWWWWW.  It was soooo uncomfortable. She talked about how to care for stinky, smelly, sweaty, achy feet in the summer... EWWWWWW.  We were all giggling so hard as she told us all about how to put deodorant on our feet, etc.  Oh man.  I was DYING. She told us that feet are mentioned 63 times in the Standard Works.  I was thinking about Jesus and how Him washing the disciples feet is 100% a sign of true sacrifice.  Because ya tu sabe, I would not have been able to do that. Haha.

Anyways, The Lord has blessed us with miracles in His work this week!! Last Thursday during planning I told Sister Ramirez that we've got to find some more investigators or something, because we are DRY.  As of yesterday (so only three days into the week), we already have 3 new investigators and 4 potentials!  Every day this week our appointments have been canceling, for some reason or another, and we are left with absolutely nothing to do.  So Tuesday, after walking  around and calling everyone and their dog (and getting no replies), we just decided to go knock on one of our active member's door.  I expected her to be at work, but SHE WAS HOME! About two minutes after we come in, she gets another knock on the door, and one of her really close (non-member) friends walks in!! We taught him about the Book of Mormon (I couldn't help myself.... Haha.), and are going back to teach him this weekend!  He also has a couple sons who would really like to hear our message.  The best part is that his name is Salvador! (Savior in Spanish!)  Yesterday, we also had a whole bunch of cancelations.  We went and knocked on a less-active's door, but she wasn't home.  Sister Ramirez said we should knock on the door next door, so we did.  We ended up teaching an AMAZING lesson to a mother and her 16 year-old-son, who are prepared and extremely humble.  They are so willing to hear the message.  The Spirit was so strong as we testified of eternal families, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and how building upon the Rock of our Redeemer guards us from temptation (Hel. 5:12).  We are so excited to teach them more!  Their names are Jesus and Rosemary.  SO essentially, we are now teaching a Mary, Jesus, and Savior.  BOOYA.

The Lord loves and guides His people.  He qualifies those who serve Him, and as we sacrifice the little things that are preventing us from coming closer to Him, He will bless us in ways that we will never be able to comprehend.

Love you all,

Sister Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment