Thursday, October 17, 2013

NYC Week Dos

Hola familia!!

It's been yet another crazy week in NYC!  But we didn't really expect different, so that's okay.  Haha.  First off, I AM SO EXCITED.  We work mostly with less actives, who just don't realize the heaviness of the gospel and that things really do continue after baptism.  We have decided the best way to show them is to teach about the temple.  Truly the temple is where the saving ordinances are done, and it is so exciting to be able to share with people the power that is in the temple.  We are hoping that as we start to help less actives find a desire to go the temple, that desire will help them understand that they actually have to go to church to get to the temple... Haha.  Anyways, during companionship study we were talking about the temple and how we could get people excited.  Hermana Lancaster yells out, "you should do drawings of the Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) temple and Manhattan temple!"  Of course my mind was blown.  SOO those are my next projects! I am so thrilled to be able to use my talent to bring others unto Christ.  (When Sadie finishes them, we will have her send a picture so y'all can see her art. :) What a blessing it is to be able to do something so special for these people.  As we have been teaching about the temple to some members already, it is surprising how little they know.  Some have never seen a temple, and one less active who was baptized years ago, thought the temple and the chapel were the same thing... Not quite... But I am loving testifying of the power that is there.  There is an article in the Ensign about how youth are going to the temple, and I feel so blessed to be able to be a part of that! I am only 19 years old, and yet I get to partake of the blessings of the salvation already! I love it. We are allowed to go to the temple here once a cycle (6 weeks), but the South mission decided to let their kids go more, and so there are not enough workers and we can't go as often.  Many elders in my district have been out for 6 months and are going for the first time today.  I can't wait to go!!

Manhattan Temple
Santo Domingo Temple
I am really learning about the gloriousness and heaviness of this gospel.  It's not just something we do or a place we go, it's the work of salvation!! Literally without this true restored gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no way anybody can return.  It is a blessing to be able to share that with others, but also a struggle to be able to help them feel it's heaviness.  I mean, it took me 19 years to really be able to begin to comprehend! I just pray that we can bring the Spirit enough to show people.  

Our ward is so hilarious.  I looovee the people.  They are freaking funny.  We have this one old lady who store some 3D glasses from a movie theater because she thinks they help her see better than regular glasses.  Basically my whole ward is like that.  They are fun and hilarious.  We have having a Dia de Naciones activity in a couple weeks where everyone is doing a performance or somthing from thier country.  Us missionaries, the only Americans, are doing the Hoe Down Throw Down... I don't know how that happened... Hahahaha.  I like to call this activity "Carnaval de Barrio" since the word Barrio is ward as well as neighborhood.  All my IN THE HEIGHTS peeps will love this.  Hahaahahah.


New York is crazy.  It blows my mind to be so in the world, but so out of the world.  Like last P-day we went and played Ultimate Frisbee on a field literally right outside of Yankee Stadium.  Yeah. YANKEE STADIUM.  I was kind of freaking out the whole time.  Except now we got to Yankee Stadium like three times a week since it's the end of our area, so yeah.  But it's amazing.  I was in shock.  But anyways, then we go and testify to people about Jesus Christ.  We stick out like sore thumbs here.  Two cute white girls walking around the Bronx... The other day we passed a cop car and the cops in the car yelled out, "Hey, what are you two ladies doing in a place like this?!"  We get cat-called ALL THE TIME.  God has blessed me with deafness though, and I can't really hear all the terrible things that are said to us.  It is nice to be called beautiful every day though.  Hahaha... Not really.... Although Hermana Lancaster told me that she hasn't been cat called this much in this area before... Uhhh.  Yesterday we were crossing the street and this guy yells at me, "I've been waiting for you girl for an hour!"  And I was like "Sorry, have a nice day."  And then as I'm walking away he says "Oh, so you're saying I've got to wait a little longer??"  I was dying laughing.  Never in my life have I been called Shorty, and now I get called it like every day.  Whatevs.  

If you have suggestions…..please help!  So there is a mouse rotting behind our cupboards, and the super says we can do nothing about it.  Basically my apartment smells like rotting body.  If you could google how to get rid of the smell, or at least how long it will take for the smell to leave, that would be great!!!!  We are actually switching apartments probably this week with the zone leaders, and I feel terrible that they might have to move in to that.  Grossssss.  Let me know!!  Today, I am emailing from the apple store across the street from the temple.  BOOYA.

My companion is fantastic.  I love her tons!! She is hilarious.  I've made her pass out a couple times and it makes me pee my pants (skirt?).  She is literally always tired, so we have to schedule in a nap time.  Mom, you would love this.  I ususally use it as extra study time though.  Or art time.  Sometimes I like to call it "talent time".  Hahaha.  But she is great.  She brings the Spirit, and always makes sure I get a chance to share during the lesson.  She has been a fantastic example to me as she has shown me how to truly love and act in a place like this.  She has also been my HERO with spanish.  I am so grateful to have her.  She is from Springville, Utah, and went to high school with Robert (she thinks she had a class with him maybe??) . She is 22 years old, and will go home in February.  She loves art, loves geology, and loves the gospel.  I love her!

Question for ya'll, what the heck is going on with the government??

Also if you could send me info about the difference between direct and indirect object verbs in english...because I don't understand, and in spanish they are whack.

I love you guys so much!!

Love,


Hermana Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment