Thursday, October 10, 2013

Of Break-ins, Besos, and the Bronx

Hola familia!

Answers to your questions: I live on the fourth floor, with a broken elevator.  Yay!! My butt is sore every morning.  I don't know why we live so far away from our area.. But we are talking to the President about possibly moving after this week... 

First things first, after reading the title of this email, you are probably freaking out.  But know that I LOVE THE BRONX.  It is scary and crazy but I love it to death.

Bronx skyline
Anyways, New York must have found out I was new, and sent somebody to give me a nice welcoming!! Yay... Friday night we came home to find that our door was all jacked up.  The handle was pried up and looked like a wreck.  Somebody tried to break into our apartment. We have elders in the other district that live about three minutes away from us so we called them before we even attempted to open the door.  We were kind of freaking out that someone was inside.  The elders sprinted over and after turning the lock, found that the door had been messed with so badly that the door knob wouldn't even turn.  It was dang scary.  We ran to our downstairs neighbors and the elders climbed up to the fire escape to go through out window, but that was locked too.  So we ran to get the super and tell him what went down.  He told us to call the cops... whattttt.  Neither Sister Lancaster or I had ever called 911 before, so we were kind of freaking out again.  We ran upstairs and found that the elders had used a Subway Rewards card and opened the door.  Nothing was missing, and nobody had gotten in.  But we were still extremely nervous, and now we were waiting for the cops to come.  Our zone leaders came over too (one of which is a dark haired dark eyed Jordan Teuscher.  HAhahahahah), and President called us to see if we were okay.  I think he was super nervous about me since it was my second day, and because in our interview I asked him if I was moving into a safe place.  He assured me never have they had a problem with dangerous situations or anything like that before.  And then this happens... I had to laugh a little bit about that.  Anyways, President told the Elders to stay with us until the cops arrived, and then we were going to go stay at another sisters' apartment.  So we waited and hung with the Elders in our apartment.  By the time 10:30 rolled around, one of the Elders had already taken an Ambien and was going crazy.  He couldn't see colors or anything straight anymore, but wouldn't go to sleep since that would kind of be a little inappropriate, since they aren't even allowed to be in our apartment.  By the time midnight rolled around, Monopoly was pulled out.  And then by 2, we were extremely antsy.  We called 911 again, and they told us we were on EXTREMELY low priority, since it was just an attempted break in, and we live in the Bronx, and it was a Friday night.  Greatttt.  By 2:30 we got a hold of President and he told the Elders to leave.  So Hermana and I grabbed our blankets and fell asleep on the couch hoping the cops would arrive soon.  At 4 the cops finally showed up.  They were at our apartment for literally five minutes, three of which were spent climbing the steps to the fourth floor.  They then told us it was just a criminal mischief and they weren't really going to file a report.  By this point we were so exhausted I couldn't even react.  We called President to tell us the cops came, and he told us to sleep in the next morning! Yay!  Basically the last few days have been spent dealing with the super trying to get a new lock, dealing with the cops who wanted to see the old lock, and trying to catch up on sleep.  President was really sweet to us and let us sleep in and go to bed early a couple times to catch up.  Thank goodness for that, because otherwise I would have DIED during Conference.


Anyways, I know that angels were looking out for us that night.  If a criminal couldn't get through our door, but somehow elders and a plastic card could, then miraculous things must have happened.  Also I know the Lord blessed me with peace.  Throughout the whole situation, I felt okay.  I didn't feel worried or insecure, and I know that had a huge affect on Hermana Lancaster who was kind of freaking out.  The Lord is looking out for us!!

A few other things:

I have been called to speak Spanglish!! It seriously is so funny.  Everybody here speaks Spanglish.  Basically if you don't know a word in Spanish you can fill it in with English, and chances are they will still understand you.  We don't usually get fed, but we have had dinner appointments Monday and yesterday, and we have one tonight!  We have set up a schedule to go eat dinner with a woman and her husband (who is an artist and got REALLY excited when I told him I was an artist.. Haha) and that is great.  Yesterday we were checking up on former investigators and found a woman who is really strongly Catholic and has no interest in the church, but always lets missionaries in and feeds them.  Let's just say Dominican food is like my favorite thing now.  Everyone greets you with a beso, a kiss on the cheek.  Germs are really fun things here.  Haha.  Also the worst part here, besides the break in, is being two white girls in the Bronx.  We get dog called ALL THE TIME.  Seriously people say the most inappropiate and hilarious things to us.  I am in shock that it happens.  Never have I been asked if I have a boyfriend, been told I'm beautiful, or been told "Oh God bless YOU, shorty" so many times in my life.  Hahahaha.  Oh man.  WHAT IS THIS WORLD.

I love the work. We have two big investigators, and four ones in the process.  I love the work and am so thrilled to be able to spread this gospel.  I know it is the true church on this earth!! 

Love you guys lots!! 

Todos mi amor,


Hermana Dodson



No comments:

Post a Comment