Thursday, October 3, 2013

Start Spreading the News!

Hola familia!! 

I am here in New York!! Culture shock!! Haha. Also it is really odd to be typing on an American keyboard again...

My first area is....... THE BRONX.  I am so excited to be in the city!  It is definitely the ghettos, but I couldn't be happier.  There are the most interesting people here already.  We live in an apartment about 30 minutes away from our actual proselyting area, so don't worry, by tomorrow I will be a pro at public transport.  
Source
My first companion is Hermana Landcaster.  SHE IS FANTASTIC already.  I am seriously so happy.  She talks a ton, loves art, and is dang hilarious.  She already told me how she just wants to go the Met so bad and hasn't had an artsy enough companion to do all those things with.  I am so pumped for our P-days.  We get to go our of our area twice each transfer, one of which to use the temple (and do some city stuff there too).  All the elders rave about her.  They have also told me that she laughs a ton and if she gets laughing too hard then she will faint... HAHAHAHA.  This is so perfect. I will make sure to keep of tally of how many times I have to catch her.  She has been here for almost six months know so she definitely knows her way around the Bronx.  She speaks Spanish with a very Domincan accent- they drop off all s's and r's.  SO instead of saying Iglesia de JesuCristo de Los Santos de Las Ultimas Dias, it's more like Igleia de JeuCisto de lo antos de la ulima Dia.  It's going to take a while to catch up on that one.  I will send pictures home next week of the Bronx.  But I could not be more excited to be here!!

Hermana Livingston is up in Yonkers, so we won't get to see each other for a while.  That is a big bummer, and it was so hard to say goodbye to her!  I love her sooo much.  

My mission president is AMAZING.  The only way I can describe him is to describe him as a Steve Clinger.  He has a big booming laugh, genuinely loves people, and definitely has tons of fun.  The Mission Mom is the most adorable lady on the planet.  She is so sweet.  I love them already and am so excited to be able to get to know them more.  

Yesterday we flew into a teeny-tiny airport in White Plains, NY, and right when we landed I just felt like I was at home.  Part of me felt like peeing my pants, but for the most part, I just felt so comfortable.  I know this is the place I am meant to be, and I am so grateful every day that Heavenly Father blessed me enough to send me here.  New York is going to be a place of miracles.  I can feel it.  

Also it is stunning here.  The leaves are just beginning to change colors, and it looks like a scene straight out of Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost.  The mission home is in Scarsdale, and it is over 100 years old, and thus it is stunning.  The New England old fashioned feel here is incredibly welcoming and home-y.  

Funny story- My companion is the only person in the ward who can play the piano, besides one of the deacons who can play about two hymns... Looks like I will need to spend some time practicing my Piano!  Of course this would happen to me.. Haha.  Mom, I am sure you are gloating reading this.  

Love you all! It was AMAZING getting to speak to you yesterday, and it totally got rid of all my tiny homesick feelings.  I am so thrilled to get out in the real world doing real missionary work! 
Yo se que JesuCristo es nuestro Salvador y Redentor y la manera a Dios es por medio de El.  La Iglesia es verdadera, y un mision es lo mejor manera que yo puedo hacer ahor.  Me enconta!

Todos mi amor,

Hermana Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment